Friday, February 15, 2013

Guide to Becoming a (Substitute) Teacher: Episode 2

It's been 10 days since I joined the ranks of CPS' Day-to-Day Substitute Pool, and I haven't had the guts to call myself in as "available." To be honest, I'm freaked out.

Where will they send me? What will the kids be like? How will the other teachers treat me? Will I know what to do, or will I come off as an idiot? What if it's dangerous? How should I introduce myself? Should I bring some work for the kids to do? Will someone brief me on school policies and procedures? How do I present myself as an authority figure, but not a warden? WHAT IF THEY DON'T LIKE ME?

I know, I know, being a teacher means not worrying about being cool, or getting the kids to like me, or even being the smartest person in the classroom, but I still want all of those things. Does that mean I'm not ready?

What if something like THIS happens?


It's possible. I know my diet and what it does to my body, so this is very, very possible. And what if something like this DOES happen? My friends, family, and husband reassure me that I'll be fine, no matter what, but I need to get out there first.

No comments: