Monday, December 17, 2007

Baby's Got A Brand New Blog

Well, here I am, on the cusp of a brand new year. To celebrate, I thought it might be a good idea to start a new blog. There's nothing quite so satisfying as starting a new project, and I need some satisfaction right now. Among the slew of projects I've started this past year, not a single one has actually panned out successfully.

Let's take stock, shall we?

In work-related issues, I am still waiting tables with all the charm and enthusiasm I can muster, but find myself frustrated with the fact that I'm still waiting tables. It's a ridiculously convenient job that has nothing to do with future aspirations. Ah, well.

School is still a large part of my life, though I've grown weary of that as well. It might be time to finish up with that chapter of my life. I'm honestly a little scared of what happens after I get a degree. School has been a safety net for so long now, I'm not sure if I'm ready to climb out onto that tightrope without it.

I own a guitar I can barely play and a keyboard that mystifies me. Music happens, and I want to know how. It might be too late for me to become a rock star, but if I can learn how to play, just a little bit, I'd feel better about owning these instruments.

I can't seem to quit smoking. I try and try and try. I sneak one in every few days, telling myself, "One won't hurt." It does hurt. I want to know where I left my discipline, my sense of determination and my self-worth. It's a vile habit, and I hate myself for ever having started. It's been ten years. No. More.

Overall, I'm looking forward to the new year and some semblance of a starting-over point. It feels a bit like hitting 'reset' instead of the snooze button. "You snooze, you lose. I've snost and lost."

to be continued.

No comments: