Wednesday, December 19, 2007

these boots were made for walking?



My feet are cold and wet, but my ankles are intact. I blame and commend my sneakers for the state my feet are in.

I love my sneakers, I do, but they just don't cut it when it comes to Chicago snow, sleet and slush. After the first snowfall, beautiful as it was, I realized that I needed a pair of boots. Now, here's the problem with women's boots: they are calf-to-knee length, sexy and sleek, but they all have three-inch heels attached to them. Now, where's the sense in that? Am I expected to tromp about on icy sidewalks and slippery train platforms in shoes that may keep my feet warm and dry, but also threaten my life with every step? I beg of you, beloved fashion industry, invent sensible shoes for sensible women. or, at the very least, invent sensible shoes for women who value their life and mobility.

i realize that i've never complained about this issue before, and i also realize that it may be due to the fact that until this winter, i owned a car. last winter, i donated my car to Zipcar, thinking that i was helping to promote car-sharing, helping the environment and being a good citizen of the planet. i wish i'd thought harder about the alternative: walking. walking in dangerous shoes. everywhere.

i miss my car.

No comments: