Monday, September 10, 2012

Guide to Student Teaching #2


My second week at TSHS has been almost as good as my first. I mostly learned about the type of disciplinarian I can be, which is terribly different from the type of disciplinarian I currently am. Basically, I don’t know how to act when a student, or several, get(s) out of control. The incident occurred when I attempted to wake up a student who had blatantly tilted his head backwards onto his notebook and closed his eyes while my cooperating teacher gave the class explicit instructions to pay attention to the board where she was projecting an excerpt for a read-aloud. I leaned over and tapped the student’s notebook and said, “You need to sit up, and you need to WAKE up.” In a split second, the student had jumped up out of his seat and started hollering at me. He said things like, “You ain’t supposed to touch me! You can’t do that! You invaded my space!” I was mortified.
            My cooperating teacher immediately bellowed over the student and the buzz from the other students. She spent 15 minutes lecturing the class on issues of respect, and respect for adults in this school, including me, the student teacher. I meekly raised my hand to contribute to the scolding. I reiterated the sentiments, and added, “I look forward to working with several groups of students who seem to value being respected. That respect works both ways. In honor of that sentiment, I would like to apologize to [the student] if he feels that I overextended myself and made him uncomfortable…” As I finished my apology, the student yelled, “Apology NOT accepted!” It took a lot of willpower not to roll my eyes at him. I added, “But I will not apologize for waking you up during class, or for any other actions I take that you may choose to bring on yourself. This is a school, not a playground. I will treat you according to how mature you act.”
            By the time I was done, I was shaking and felt very, very warm. I was thankful for my dark coloring, because I’m sure I would have turned beet-red and lost all credibility. It was a strange thing, to discipline a classroom, and have a public altercation with a student. My CT thought I did a fine job of remaining composed while making it clear that I was not to be “messed with.” I hope so, because I was terribly nervous for the rest of the day, and more than a little concerned about my car and personal belongings.
            A few days later, I took it upon myself to approach the student, but in an official and professional capacity. I looked over his work from earlier that day, and during the silent Study Hall, I asked him, “Would you please come see me after the bell? I need to discuss something you wrote, and I would rather not discuss it when everyone can hear us.” I expected him to run out of class right after the bell rang, but he sauntered over to my desk, and guardedly asked what he had done.
            “I just wanted to compliment you on your thesis statement from this morning. You were the only one to see both sides and give solid supporting examples. That’s what lawyers do. It’s difficult, and you did it in five minutes. Nice job.” He looked shocked and told me he thought I had something bad to say about him. I very firmly explained, “You expect that for a reason, and I think you know why. The truth is, teachers like to tell you when you’ve done something right. It’s much more enjoyable for everyone.” The student looked me in the eye for the first time in two days, thanked me, and used my name. It was a victory, as far as I was concerned.
            In addition to building trust between myself and individual students, I also took on a few large tasks, that might keep me from sleeping more than 4 hours a night. Wednesdays at TSHS are currently being used as “Club Days” where students move from classroom to classroom for six periods, and each period is a mandatory, extracurricular club that they may or may not have signed up for. I am now a co-advisor for the newspaper and yearbook club, but without any real direction. I created a handbook, but I think I need to work on a weekly schedule or a series of student-created deadlines for each issue. It’s exciting, but difficult.
            I also took it upon myself to build a classroom website for my cooperating teacher. Her students frequently claimed that they “didn’t know” about assignments or due dates, and currently, the gradebook for each section contains more zeros than actual grades. I hope the website will quash the excuses.

No comments: