Monday, September 17, 2012

Guide to Student Teaching #4


It was Spirit Week at TSHS, and I came to realize that meant two things: my presence and participation in daily “spirit” activities such as an obstacle race and dodgeball game was necessary, AND I would have very little instructional time. While I can appreciate the administrator’s efforts to rally the student body and combat the ever-growing feelings of animosity and apathy toward education, I have to say, the idea was nice, but it ultimately backfired.
            The instructional week is already chopped up by the mandatory “Club Day” every Wednesday, on which there is no instructional time whatsoever, and the students know it. Over the past few weeks I have heard many students complain that Wednesdays are a waste of time, and they would “rather have the day off” instead of being shuttled between classrooms for mandatory clubs that have no bearing on their grades, aside from attendance. This week, Club Day was suspended and students were scheduled for various tests. The only problem with this scheduling switch was that the club I am co-advising is for the newspaper, and we have spent a few weeks constructing deadlines for articles, editing, and publishing. These deadlines are no longer valid, and my frustration is mounting.
            With Spirit Week, class periods were shortened to allow for the final 90 minutes of the school day to be dedicated to “Spirit” activities, assemblies, and on Friday, a pep rally. With class periods being whittled down to 30 minutes, and the loss of Wednesday’s time, I believe that each class only received approximately 2 hours of subject-specific instructional time this week, when they normally receive 3 hours per week. Take into account the loss of Wednesday’s instructional time, and the students at HFHS lost nearly twice the instructional time that a CPS student receives. It’s shameful.
            Unfortunately, I also caught a bad cold this week, and did not work on Wednesday or Thursday. I’m ashamed to admit that I was not terribly concerned about missing Wednesday, which should indicate the level of apathy the students feel about the mandated attendance. I don’t blame them. The inconsistencies regarding scheduling reveal a distinct lack of respect for the students’ time, and the only reasonable response to that is disdain.
            Teaching on Friday proved to be an exhausting, but satisfying adventure. I was aware that the students had not received any consistent instruction, but the Parents’ Night helped to reset some of the students’ attitudes and dispositions towards the work. My initial lesson plan was revised in the morning with the help of my cooperating teacher, and I felt confident about achieving my objectives. It was only when the students entered the classroom did I realize I was going to need to do more than teach. I needed to perform. The young men were energized by the upcoming football game and Homecoming dance, and obviously needed a more physical activity than I had originally planned.
            I utilized aspects of my lesson plan, but mostly improvised activities that I felt would accomplish the lesson’s objectives. The students responded enthusiastically to the loosely structured debate I facilitated, and managed to construct an argumentative paper verbally, helping to reinforce the outlining strategy I had hoped to teach. The period ended too quickly, and I was happy to hear a few students express surprise. This week, I hope to build on that enthusiasm, and now, knowing how well this particular class responds to structured discussions, debates, and physical activity, I believe my lesson plans will actually hold their attention. 

No comments: