Monday, September 3, 2012

Guide to Student Teaching #1


*The School High School (TSHS) is not what I thought it would be. I had learned from some light research that it is an all-boys, private, Catholic school that caters to African-American youth on the South Side of Chicago. I considered nearly all of those defining qualities to reside slightly outside of my comfort zone, based on some preconceived notions gathered from various media, news articles, and anecdotes. For example, I have only cursory knowledge of the Catholic faith. Also, I am still uncertain of my classroom management skills with teenagers. I have been successful with motivating teenage girls, but not boys. I am terribly unfamiliar with the communities of Bronzeville and Hyde Park, which the school borders on and pulls students from. Quite honestly, I felt I was walking into the school with nearly no prior or useful knowledge. The only thing I felt confident about was my academic knowledge of teaching that I have gained through NEIU’s program.
            The tiny seed of confidence rapidly grew through a series of pleasantly surprising experiences beginning with my commute and continuing through my interactions with the staff and students. Getting to the school was easy, and much faster than I had originally anticipated. The neighborhood and surrounding area revealed a diverse community of Muslims, Catholics, and Christians of varying denominations. The school’s grounds and building were well maintained and thoughtfully conceived. I found no trouble parking or entering the school, and upon entry, I immediately noticed evidence of a staff and student body that took pride in the school. The school’s mission statement, core values, and expectations for the students were posted on walls and near high-traffic areas, such as water fountains, vending machines, and around the main office. Although the school’s official motto is “Unto perfect manhood,” the unofficial motto seen on posters and tee shirts was “We don’t do that here,” a phrase that was accompanied by images of bullying, cheating, inappropriate dress, and swearing.
            The core values of the school seem to focus on building good character and sound morals through a strong emphasis on academics and community service. I found the core values to match my own, giving me the confidence to simply be myself. As I got to know the principal and her Teaching Team Leader, I caught myself behaving as more of a learning professional than a meek student. It surprised me. I asked several pertinent and focused questions about the school, the students, and my cooperating teacher, Ms. *English By the end of the initial introductions, I felt comfortable and eager to meet the classes I would be teaching.
            Ms. English is a singularly methodical teacher. The classroom environment was highly organized. As a teacher-in-training, I immediately appreciated the ease with which I could see exactly what she emphasized in her curriculum (writing). From observing her teaching style, I also recognized that she and I share similar perspectives on how to interact with students, how to present material, and how to split classroom instructional time. It was very exciting to see a teacher successfully implement instructional and classroom management techniques that I suspected would work well, but have not had the chance to try for myself. One aspect of Ms. English's methods that I hope to integrate into my own teaching is her strict policy on homework for students.
            Several times during the week, students were not submitting homework on time. Ms. English reminded them of her policies, including an agreement to not assign homework on Fridays, as the students requested. She ended up assigning homework to her students on Friday, but reminded them that she could not honor the request if the students could not honor her policies. Several of the boys apologized to each other for not submitting their homework and causing the repercussions. It was so refreshing to see such an effective use of reward and punishment. I hope I can hold to my own policies as rigidly, because I see that consistency is crucial.
            Ms. English also showed me the value of setting strict rules and expectations at the beginning of the year. She explained to me that she would most likely relax on some policies as the year progressed, but for now, she needed to show her students that she will be watching them closely. For example, she checked to make sure students had the required books each day. Students who had not obtained the necessary readings or had not submitted homework had to write down their name and parents’ phone number on a sheet of paper. During her lunch hour, Ms. English called each guardian and informed him or her of the missing assignment or book. She spent a lot of time on the phone this week, but she reassured me that it would set the proper precedent for the rest of the year. I tend to agree, although it never would have occurred to me on my own.
            Something I began cultivating during my first week at TSHS, with some amount of success, was what I’m referring to as my “teacher personality.” Originally, I envisioned that I would be the high-energy, funny, goofy teacher that made students laugh while learning. After two full days, I saw how unrealistic that was. Instead, I began referring to the boys as “gentlemen” and adding more formal, but friendly, phrases to my conversations. It is a level of respect that I don’t think they have experienced yet, and many of the boys responded by increasing or matching my level of formality. It was so satisfying to hear a young man tell me that he “was gonna do the reading” and then self-correct himself to say “was going to do the reading.” I noted the effort he put in, and thanked him for using proper speech with me. His smile from receiving my approval was amazing.
            I am working very hard to match lesson and unit plans to Ms. English's curriculum, but I am also looking forward to investing in the community and school culture. On Friday, during study hall, I noticed several of the boys without any work to do. They were chattering loudly about the next day’s football game. Now, I know nothing about football, but I knew that these students struggled with writing clearly and concisely, as evidenced from some initial assessment essays. I kindly asked one of them if he would mind writing out the “rules for football” for me. I explained that I did not understand who or what the players were or what they did. I told him it would be a “favor” to me, and only if he didn’t have other work to do. The student quickly formed a group with three other boys and began writing out ideas for how to write instructions for me.
            I went back to my work, and they practiced writing. It felt like a trick, probably because it was, but if they can write what I have asked, then they will have practiced writing clearly, and I get to understand football. I looked over what they had put together before the period was over, and based on what they wrote, I was looking forward to talking to them about it more. I ended up going to their football game, and I can’t wait to ask them to add more details and specifics. I suppose this is one of the many perks of teaching – learning. 
*Names and locations have been changed to protect privacy

No comments: