Saturday, January 31, 2009

it didn't take a miracle


Sarah, Maureen, and I stormed a castle today, and we had fun doing it. I woke up this morning feeling better than I have all week, and I decided it was high time to indulge in some tourist-y goodness.

We left for downtown Limerick around 1pm and made our way through some of the shops and sights. Our mission was to visit King John’s Castle. The architecture of the city is beautiful, and the history of Ireland, and Europe, for that matter, has made me appreciate mankind on the whole. If history were alcohol, America would be a single can of PBR and Europe would be the basement of a frat house kegger. I could have gotten drunk on Limerick’s history, if I hadn’t been careful.

We walked around St. Mary’s Cathedral, a Friary, the original Christian Brothers School for Boys, and Thomond Bridge, finally reaching… a freakin’ castle. Was it a tourist trap? Yes. Did we see creepy mannequins depicting scenes from the Days of Yore? Yup. Did we learn something? Hell, yes. I took so many pictures and video that my camera committed suicide. I’ll resurrect it later. Zombie-camera.

Castles. No joke. Well, maybe a tiny one…
storming the castle!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that the same King John from Robin Hood?

Shama Dardai said...

It is!