Tuesday, January 27, 2009

my confusion knows no bounds

Today was my second day of classes, er, modules. It began at 9am with a course in Irish Folklore. This is verrrry exciting for me, as I tend to derive great pleasure from mythology, fantasy, and folklore. Call me an escapist, I don’t care. I’ve run off to Ireland, so I won’t argue. I’m also taking a Science Fiction: Literature and Film course, but I swear I’m taking it for purely academic purposes (snigger, snort). Both modules seemed awfully full, but I was assured that none of my courses would close. There are seats for all. Huh? Really? You mean I don’t have to rush to sign up for anything or kill anyone to get a seat in the class? But that makes so much… sense.

I also discovered that Limerick residents don’t actually pay for their university education. Oh, and there aren’t any assignments throughout the semester. Students go to lectures, schedule out ‘tutorial’ times, write a paper at the end of the semester, and take an exam. That’s it.

It’s as if they want students to take responsibility for their education by treating them like adults. There aren’t any tiny hoops to jump through, or any red tape to get tangled up in. We are required to listen, read, and learn, but there aren’t any giant shadows of administration peering over our shoulders to make sure we do it. On the other hand, if I had spent my first few years in this system, I doubt I would have made it very far.

My curiosity has lead me to take courses in computer science, theater, journalism, history, art history, and a slew of disciplines that ultimately directed me to English, Sociology, and Education. I’m glad for the journey, because now there isn’t any doubt in my mind that I’m doing what I really want. I suppose there are pros and cons to both versions, but I can’t help being a little pissed off about the money.

In a country with a long and proud literary history, and a long and frustrating economic track record, I can’t say I’m too surprised. I guess I’m just confused by the boundaries I grew accustomed to back in the U.S.

No comments: