Friday, January 23, 2009

Orientation Day 2: The Revenge



It is only my third day here, and I already want to sleep in. The sunrise comes late. I took a few pictures. The dark one is at 8:15am.

And the other is 10am.

As Yeats once wrote, the sunrise is “cold and passionate.” Cold, indeed. I have been freezing since I arrived, and I don’t expect to warm up anytime soon. Let’s do some brief math and then I can describe the rest of the day, shall we?

Late sunrise + COLD = Shama skips the second day of orientation

I missed it, by a long shot, but not entirely of my own doing. The ceiling light in my room burned out, and then my wardrobe door fell off. Yes. Fell. Off. On my foot. After that, I didn’t want to do much of anything, except curse, which thankfully, is widely accepted in Ireland, if not outright encouraged.

After cursing and nursing my sore foot, I went out in search of the orientation group. Wildly unsuccessful. I did get to see more of the campus though, which is, in a word, astounding. I have never had an on-campus experience before, despite my long career in higher educational pursuit. This is different. I wonder what it would have been like had I gone away to school when I was younger.

I probably wouldn’t have gotten up early back then, either.

No comments: