Friday, February 13, 2009

Hostel Environment

I'm going to Galway! I'm excited about this trip for a few reasons:

1. I'm competing in my first debate tournament with
2. My new favorite people: the UL Debate Society, who
3. Promised me that Galway is a beautiful city with
4. Loads of things to see and do!

I'm also staying at a hostel for the first time, and despite the bad reputation hostels have gotten due to a certain movie I'm feeling adventurous. Sure, things have been a little rough, but when the going gets rough, the rough get going, right? Ah, something like that.

some hours later...

The hostel is BEAUTIFUL. It's clean, bright, and has plenty of comfortable community space for sitting, eating, and chatting. I have already heard at least four different accents/languages, and it's located in the center of town! I can't wait to go exploring! There's Nora Barnacle's house, and the Spanish Arch, and Eyre Square... so much to do, so much to do...

some MORE hours later...

I was told to put my camera away. I was told that, "What happens in Galway, STAYS in Galway." I am here, but I am not here to explore a city. I am here to compete, and compete I shall. There were 2 rounds of debate tonight. It occurred to me during the first round that I have no clue as to what I'm doing. All I know is that I MUST debate. I'm not opposed to debating (pun intended), but I didn't realize how taxing this weekend promises to be. To be continued...

No comments: