Sunday, February 8, 2009

something old, something new



UPDATE: Still no sign of heat or hot water. Is it possible to see mirages in the cold, i wonder? Bought a tiny, electric heater last night. Wish I hadn't had to spend the money, but I'm much more comfortable now.

It hasn't quite been 3 weeks yet, but I am starting to feel slightly more than nostalgic for my sweet home, Chicago. Nostalgia indicates a wistful longing for the past. I do not long for the past. I long for my life to be back in order. I wish for a schedule that makes sense to me. I miss the little things that I once took for granted.

I miss working. Though it isn't a prestigious job, I feel that waitressing can have a certain sense of nobility to it. I believe that can be said of any job, as long as one takes care to do it well. I am a good waitress. I miss the rigorous schedule, and I especially miss the weekends. Brunch.

Time functions differently in Chicago during brunch. People relax and enjoy their eggs and coffee without a smidgen of pretension. I miss that. So, after going to Maureen's for a hot shower this morning, I invited her to have brunch with me. Cheesy eggs! Bananas! Capri-Sonnes! French toast with strawberry syrup! (Is it simply called 'toast' in France?). Quite a successful brunch. Appetite and nostalgia -- cured.

During the meal, we both realized that we hadn't really done much landscape-exploring, so we decided a walk along the River Shannon would suffice. Suffice, indeed. The path was gloriously muddy, and the forestry was straight out of a fairy tale. The prize was coming upon some ruins. Honest-to-goodness-Days-of-Yore RUINS. It was like walking into the Secret Garden. We stumbled along overgrown pathways, meandered through destroyed chambers, and climbed through forgotten history. It was, in every way, a ruin. The five-story tower was missing a wall, but the spiral stairs were intact... so we walked up them.

For the first time since I arrived here, I felt truly happy and invigorated. I came here to experience something new, and today I really did. The day began as a walk down memory lane, and wound up being a trip off the beaten path. The best part is how the new path becomes a memory that I expect I'll feel nostalgia for.

No comments: